Monday, January 10, 2011

A Love Like That

This weekend I attended an absolutely beautiful wedding.  There's just something about weddings that makes you think about love- obviously~ two people are beginning their lives together.  Seeing a beautiful couple exchange vowels, dance their first dance, witnessing such love creates that warmth in your heart. 
Now I know a wedding evokes different emotions for different people.  During different parts of the ceremony I thought back to my wedding day and the love I share with my husband.  Words spoken during the ceremony spoke loudly to my heart. While other parts made me think of the future and hoping that my children will one day experience this kind of love.  I guess that's a big wish for any parent for their child~ to find happiness & love.

During a part of the reception the DJ called up all married, engaged, &/or dating couples to the dance floor to dance ~ the objective of this was to see who's been married the longest.  It was amazing to see so many people still remained past 10 years (me & my husband will celebrate 10 this year), 20 years, 30 years, the dance floor started to clear up a little after 30 but amazingly enough still quite a few.  Ultimately 2 couples continued to dance even after the music stopped & then ONE remained.  The grandparents of the bride... married 64 years (& 7 months the couple added).  64 years & 7 months!!  That is absolutely inspiring.
They shared the secret with us of what makes a marriage last so long while they still continued to dance.

I thought to myself "how old they must of been when they married" imagine all the things a couple living during those days had gone through together.  Honestly you can't think of anything else than, "I want a love like that".

I shared the story with my children;  my daughter thought "how cute" especially when I explained how they continued to dance even after the music stopped.  My son, who is a teenager, was amazed~ and said "that's the kind of love I want to find one day".  That really is an everlasting love~ and it spoke volumes at the wedding.  It was like the saying "all because two people fell in love".  I'm sure they've been through their share of ups & downs but through it all they've been together.  Knowing the family I can say I've seen how close they are- unconditional love of parents, support from family and lots of long time friends.  Wonderful people.  Again~ "all because two people fell in love".  The power of love, giving, sharing, caring for one another and imparting those values to your family.

Now as I sit here and type I think to the future again and my children. As a parent there really isn't any bigger accomplishment or joy in life than having raised loving, caring, polite and successful children.  To see them happy and share that happiness with them.  One day (in the future) I hope to share such a beautiful day with my children and also be celebrating a big anniversary!  Calculating in my head- we won't be near the 64 years like that couple~ but as long as its "a love like that"... it won't matter the years but just that we're together.
 Now with love in the air from a wedding and all the Valentines Days stuff out on display, I couldn't help but think of love, cute couples, hearts, candies & cookies!!  And I wondered what type of cookie should I make... what shape??  And I realized it was obvious the first recipe & the first cookie for me to share is one of my favorites and my families. (my friends know this as the signature cookie I bake for my holiday cookie exchange parties)


White Chocolate Cherry Cookies
(recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens) 

Ingredients:
6-10 oz jar of maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
2-1/2  cups  all-purpose flour
1/2  cup  sugar
1  cup  cold butter
12  ounces  white chocolate baking chips, finely chopped
1/2  teaspoon  orange extract
2 -4 drops  red food coloring (optional & depending on the color you desire)
2  teaspoons  shortening (you can also use white chocolate candy to dip cookie in & eliminate need for shortening)
    White nonpareils and/or red edible glitter (optional)
 
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in orange extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.

3. Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

5. In a small saucepan or bowl, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. If you use white chocolate candy melts follow the directions to melt just enough in a microwavable bowl (about 1 1/2 cups).  Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, sprinkle edges in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes about 60.

6. To Store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
 
And as I finish this post, as my husband sleeps on the couch snoring, I think to myself; years from now if it is just like this~ it will be
"A Love Like That".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment