Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Legend of Saint Valentine

I think we sometimes just think of certain holidays as what I've heard some people refer to as "Hallmark holidays"- created by companies to sale cards or candy.  But in all truth there is a story behind the holiday, it's more than just flowers, cards, and candy.   And here it is: 

The Legend of Saint Valentine
Once upon a time, in ancient Rome, a healer welcomed patients to his home. 
His name was Valentine, and with his art, he ministered to body, mind, and heart.
One day, a jailer from the citadel said, "Can you make my little daughter well? 
Though sightless, she is all the world to me!  Dear Valentine, please help my daughter to see!"
With gentle herbs and, most of all, with prayer, the kindly Christian treated her with care.  
With faith and trust in God, between the two a sacred bond of heartfelt feeling grew.
The emperor of Rome became aware that many Christians lived and worshiped there.
Accusing them of evil with a lie, he sentenced every one of them to die.
So in prison, Valentine was thrown, to spend his final days on earth alone.
"Let's write to him," his little patient said. 
"To My Dear Valentine," her message read.
Her Christian friend departed to the Lord- 
yet on that day, her eyesight was restored.  
This miracle inspired the cherished sign of love and friendship called a "valentine."

Another story is:

 He was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that 
single men made better soldiers than those with wives, he outlawed marriage for young men. 
Valentine defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers.
When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered him to death. While imprisoned, he fell in love with the jailor's daughter and sent her the first "Valentine" greeting. He signed it, "From your Valentine."

Whatever be the true lore and beginning of Valentine's Day can probably be searched to many different stories and interpretations.  But I believe everything comes from some beginning, I mean obviously everything does start somewhere.  It's a nice thought of people doing good for others, people loving one another unconditionally and a day for things simply filled with love.  Honestly every day should be filled with love, there shouldn't be just one day devoted to such a powerful thing.  
So as we go into tomorrow, I wish you all a very Happy Valentine's Day. No matter how you celebrate it, 
or with whom~ may it be filled with happy things and that warm fuzzy feeling called LOVE!

Now I've been busy- but I couldn't pass up another opportunity to bake.  And honestly I'm not sure how I found the time- it was a pretty big weekend for our household.  My beautiful daughter, my baby girl turned
13 years old on Saturday~ so needless to say it was a busy day getting ready for a household full of teenage girls, a trip to the mall, some yummy punch & pizza & ice cream cake.  Guiltily I must confess I did not make the cake- she wanted an ice cream cake & that is one thing I have not attempted- but I did make the punch & it was loved by ALL.  But after a late night of girls and giggles, I did find the time to make up some cake pops.  The girls got to enjoy one while watching a movie & I packaged up a dozen for a bake sale at my work tomorrow, and yes I did set some aside for my loving family to enjoy.
They're pretty much the basic recipe for cakepops~ with my own color scheme and sprinkles.



I also made a batch of cookies~ but I will try to blog about those tomorrow.  Oh & the punch from the party.
Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment